Welcome!

Please join us to discuss everything literary (especially kid literary): good books, the writing life, the people and businesses who create books, controversies in book world, what's good to snack on while reading and writing, and anything else bookish. We welcome your thoughts.

Friday, March 8, 2013

VOICE...Can you hear me? by Kitty Griffin

Louis Armstrong

Lyle Lovett

Bobby Darin


Okay, so why do I have singers on a site that is about writing?
Voice. Plain and simple.
Just the other day someone was asking me about writing and voice. 
When I teach introduction to writing, I start with these three singers. I have everyone listen to one song that all three do-- "Mack the Knife." (Lyle's version is "Moritat").
Each one of these singers has a very distinct voice. You know just by hearing a few notes who they are.
THAT'S VOICE!
And the same goes for a writer's voice. 
Some writers are so distinct with their style that readers familiar with their work will know them by their words. 
Think about Star Wars, "Oh, the force is strong with that one." Now, replace the word force with voice.
Miss Marple is quite different than Hercule Poirot, yet they each have a strong voice. Miss Marple has a razor-sharp mind and Hercule has his "little grey cells" but I can picture each character and they are quite different. Christie used her voice to do this.
So voice has to do with the power of your character, the power that's inside of you as you write. That's why the adage, "Write what you know" is so important, and that's especially true for emerging writers. 
Learning to bend my voice has been a challenge for me. What do I mean? Well, writing from a male perspective is one example. Too many times I've read through a student's work and had to ask, "Are you sure your character is a boy? Because I couldn't sense a penis." Needless to say, that produced some open mouths and gasps. Even in a middle-grade story, if the main character is a boy, he has to present as a boy. It doesn't mean the writer has to acknowledge sex organs, but they need to be there. And that's shown through voice. 
A good strong voice.
Try this, just for fun. 
Go to Itunes and listen to the sample of "Mack the Knife" by an assortment of singers. As you listen, write down a few words to describe the voice you hear. 
I promise you, try this with five or six and by the end you'll have a new insight into the word, "voice."

2 comments:

  1. What a great concept and message about voice. The examples you use make your point clearly and completely. Thanks for sharing...I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Audrey, voice is one of those words you hear over and over at writing workshops...and I wanted to find a way to SHOW and not TELL. Then I heard Lyle's version of Mack the Knife and a light bulb flashed. I've had quite a few students come back and tell me that this made sense to them.

    ReplyDelete