|Look closely at the bananas. Which way are they growing? Is that a surprise to you? Would it be to your character?|
- What and when are the noises? Are they regular, staccato, fluid? Do they blend into the background? How does your character feel about the noises?
- What is the temperature, humidity, rain? Does it change much between day and night? Seasons?
- Smells? Use a light touch here – don’t have a smell every other page, but smells are evocative and can set a scene.
- What is the light like? The sky; can you see it, does it have a presence? Here in the rainforest you can barely see the sky, but at the shore a few miles away you can hardly see anything else. Cities are like rainforests that way; you hardly see the sky, but in a city you hardly see the earth either.
- Do you see anything unusual in your setting? Would anything stand out to your character? How do they feel in your setting; at home, or out of place, or maybe both?
I felt like I was a miniature fairy in undr these giant leaves.
- Touch; what does the air feel like? Sticky? Is it clean to breathe? Do people keep to themselves, arms folded, or are they open, hugging?
|What's the detail in your setting that stands out?|