Welcome!

Please join us to discuss everything literary (especially kid literary): good books, the writing life, the people and businesses who create books, controversies in book world, what's good to snack on while reading and writing, and anything else bookish. We welcome your thoughts.

Friday, November 23, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!


by
Dave Amaditz

Well, I hope all the turkey lovers out there have begun to get their fill of everything Thanksgiving - food, football - - and shopping. I know in my house plates were crammed full of goodies, (more than one plate full for most and a plan to fill up on leftovers today) football monopolized our television, and at least half of our family (not me) participated in the madness called Black Friday.

Now, I'm not one who gets the biggest thrill out of the Thanksgiving feast, probably because stuffing (dressing) and gravy and green beans are three of my least favorite foods. But in order to keep things positive, as I always try to do, I'll admit I do love to eat mashed potatoes and all the pies we served for dessert.

Where am I going with this?

Since for me, Thanksgiving isn't necessarily about giving thanks about all the wonderful food, I thought I'd give a quick rundown of a few of the so many things I have in my life to be thankful for, the things I thanked God for last night at the dinner table.

Having a wonderful family who are always there for me through good times and bad.

The blessed good fortune to live in a beautiful home and to wake up daily knowing I have a roof over my head.

Overall good health and well-being.

Acknowledging that, even with its flaws, I live in the greatest country in the world, the greatest country in the history of the world.

The freedom to celebrate this day, or any other, in any way I choose because of the brave men and women who have sacrificed so much for all of us.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more! Happy belated Thanksgiving, and a blessed Christmas season to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Cynthia and Dawn. These are things that we sometimes take for granted - - which is why I try often to keep them in mind.

    ReplyDelete