Welcome!

Please join us to discuss everything literary (especially kid literary): good books, the writing life, the people and businesses who create books, controversies in book world, what's good to snack on while reading and writing, and anything else bookish. We welcome your thoughts.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Bits and Pieces (and not all about books)


It’s the end of January and I have to say it wasn’t too bad weather wise. We even managed to get in a few sunny days. I’ve jotted down a couple of my thoughts as I passed through this month. Some are about writing and others are just personal observations. I’ve also thrown in a recipe for quiche. I made four quiche for a friend’s birthday luncheon. They were easy and a big hit with the “girls.”

1. Book Awards (and you know which ones I mean)
The books that win (and even the ones that don’t) intimate me! They’re so well written and so much better than anything I can write. I don’t mean to belittle my work but boy I sure wish I had the talent of some of those authors.

2. Deadlines
Plain and simple, they suck! Here’s the way I describe a deadline: it’s like you’re under a quilted blanket and its ninety degrees outside. I’m sweating (literally and figuratively) that I won’t get my book done in time. I’m worried I’ll lose my contract and antagonize the editors who’ll never offer me another chance to publish a book with them. And here’s the rub. In the end they’re the one’s who are behind and they don’t even care that I'm late!

3. Updating Electronics
Getting back to my deadline. I have to finish three early chapter books by the end of April (yikes, it’s almost here!) I decided to take my beloved laptop with me on vacation. Well, it’s about six years old and weighs a ton. So while I tried to get through security with my carry-on luggage, coat, etc., I’m also juggling this dinosaur of a computer. So, do I buy a new computer that is thin, lightweight and modern? Hell no, I love my heavyweight and can’t bear the thought of having to get used to a new one!

4. Being Funny
There has to be lots of humor in an early chapter book to keep kids reading and laughing out loud. Here’s my question: how many fart jokes can I put into one chapter???

5. The Loss of Page
Not the kind of page in a book, but the dear, darling, wonderful cat that was my daughter’s pet. Page died of old age and the entire family was heart-broken. To console her children Debbie encouraged them to write a story or draw a picture about Page. She then added photos and put everything together in a bound book.  It helped with the grieving and will keep Page’s memory close to everyone’s hearts.

6. Quiche
Here’s the best quiche recipe ever:
Ingredients:
1 9” unbaked pie crust
3 eggs
1 ½ cups half & half
A pinch of salt, pepper and ground nutmeg
4 oz. shredded cheese (I used white cheddar)
2 oz. Swiss cheese (or mozzarella)
Vegetables (your choice. I use mushrooms, broccoli, onions or asparagus)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Roll out the piecrust onto a pie plate (Pyrex works best) according to directions on the box. Layer shredded cheese on bottom of crust. Place veggies on top of cheese then beat eggs, milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg and pour over all. Bake pie for 15 minutes than lower oven temperature to 350 degrees. Bake 25 minutes or until crust is golden

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your daughter's cat. The tribute book is a wonderful idea, though.
    On the subject of laptops, I recently traded in my dinosaur Toshiba for a MacBook Air. What a world of difference! For someone who shuns change of any sort, I had the easiest transition. And I'm such a techno-idiot, too! I've had it about two months and I love, love, love it! Getting rid of my dear, old laptop was not the end of the world event I imagined!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn. I think I'll bite the bullet and take your advice. Any thoughts on how to recycle these electronics? Judy

      Delete