Welcome!

Please join us to discuss everything literary (especially kid literary): good books, the writing life, the people and businesses who create books, controversies in book world, what's good to snack on while reading and writing, and anything else bookish. We welcome your thoughts.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

consider this

Posted by Kitty Griffin


It’s raining It’s pouring

The old man is snoring

Bumped his head

And he went to bed

And he couldn’t

Get up in the morning
Sometimes I read about the next new device coming our way and I want to go to bed and pull the covers up over my head. As my husband and I drove down Polish Hill into Pittsburgh’s Strip District, I couldn’t help but think that when my father-in-law was young he made this same trip—in a horse and wagon. And it really wasn’t that long ago. Our group talks about the digital landscape and we wonder how we’ll navigate. How do people who spend their lives thinking of stories fit in to this new world? Is there an app for that? I downloaded (of course) a new song from a Scottish group called, “We were promised jet packs.” It’s true, isn’t it? I really thought that by the time I’d reached this age I’d have a little jet scooter to get around on. All I have is a computer, Kindle, iPod, cell phone…so the transformation has been not in personal transportation, but in communication transportation, words at the speed of byte...oh George Orwell, you saw it all! What was that drug everyone had to take, Soma/Prozac/Zoloft? oh my.

Here’s my question to you—ten years from now, do you think there will still be books, hard copy, cover, dust jacket books? As writers, let’s consider the future, our future. What will a writer’s life be like in ten years?

1 comment:

  1. A few years back, Homer asked his harpist, "D'ya think the next generation will still be willing to sing my songs about The Rage of Achilles and The Voyage of Odysseus?"

    Today, I watch Kitty Griffin getting ready to launch a chapbook that features one of her wonderful folk-tale re-tellings.

    The forms change in ways we can't predict--but we never stop wanting stories.

    p.s. Can you reply with a few words about your new chapbook, and how we can take a look at it?

    ReplyDelete