Welcome!

Please join us to discuss everything literary (especially kid literary): good books, the writing life, the people and businesses who create books, controversies in book world, what's good to snack on while reading and writing, and anything else bookish. We welcome your thoughts.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

I get by with a little help from my friends...or, a little example of how networking really works!

During this holiday season when I think about how thankful I am for my friends, one writing friend in particular comes to mind.  This past summer, my critique group buddy Dave Amaditz came across a blog mentioning the second annual Greenhouse Literary Funny Prize.  He forwarded it to me. Long story short, I submitted something funny and won a prize! Not first prize, but an honorable mention, which entailed receiving a personal letter (unheard of in the publishing world!) and six funny books published by Greenhouse Literary.  I never would have heard of this contest had it not been for Dave.  If you are an unagented writer of funny stuff; picture books, middle grade or even YA, I encourage you to enter in 2014- I believe the competition opens up around February or March - you may have to check the Greenhouse Literary website for more details.  My only other advice is to keep on sharing - we need to support one another in this wacky writing business, a frustrating business but for the wonderfully helpful company we keep!

Submitted by Andrea Perry

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the shout-out, Andrea. The award is so well deserved - and a first place finish wouldn't have surprised me.

    ReplyDelete