Welcome!

Please join us to discuss everything literary (especially kid literary): good books, the writing life, the people and businesses who create books, controversies in book world, what's good to snack on while reading and writing, and anything else bookish. We welcome your thoughts.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

One Writer's Resolutions by Kitty Griffin



Oh Lordy, please don't leave my words in the cold...

Sometimes a writer's lot is so solitary that we can't help but wonder if we will always be outside looking in. While our writing buddies help ease the chill, the truth is as plain as a sparrow on the snow, this is a cold, lonely business. It's easy to get distracted. It's easy to turn our back on what we love to do because, damn it, this is hard.

But am I making it harder than it should be?

I can give you ten reasons why I didn't accomplish all that I set out to do. I can whinge and whine with the best of them. Truth is, I let myself get distracted.

Resolved: If I want editors to believe in me, then I will believe in myself. I will be serious.

My family is going to listen when I say, leave me alone. I'm working.
And what will I do if they don't listen? I've got an iPad now. I can take it somewhere and write. There are no more lame excuses.

Resolved: Butt in chair. Ten pages a day or two hours.

I've even gotten away from reading as much as I used to. So, I just downloaded the sample chapters from the ten most popular Middle Grade and YA books of last year. I will read the openings and pick my favorites.
My cluttered life will not keep me from reading.

Resolved: Eat more words. Read. Read. Read. Nourish my soul.

I'm not enchanted with social media, but it is the way of the future. I can either hop on the bus or get left in the cold. I'm so tired of being in the cold.

Resolved: Do more to understand how the web connects. Learn how readers find writers. Maybe I will publish on-line. It's time to put on the waders and plunge in.

That's it. Four resolutions.
I can do this.

What are your writing resolutions?


1 comment:

  1. This year I have resolved to use my time more wisely...and not reinvent the wheel when the wheel that is already invented works perfectly fine. So, I think that I'm going to print out your resolutions and use them as my resolutions. They are spot on, and exactly what I need to do! Happy New Year and thanks for sharing these resolutions with me.

    ReplyDelete