Welcome!

Please join us to discuss everything literary (especially kid literary): good books, the writing life, the people and businesses who create books, controversies in book world, what's good to snack on while reading and writing, and anything else bookish. We welcome your thoughts.

Sunday, May 13, 2012

My Mother's Day Picture Book Picks


by Marcy Collier




As I read my Mother's Day cards and get ready to make brunch for our family, I contemplate what I'll write for my post tomorrow. In my older son's card, he listed reading as one of his favorite activities that we do together. I can remember years ago, Andrea (in our Route 19 group) told me "keep reading to your kids," especially after they have learned to read well on their own. Studies show that kids who continue to have a parent read to them regularly will become even stronger readers. I really believe this, and from reading to the boys from a very early age, they both love to read.

There are so many great books on our shelves, but I'll share three of my top picture book picks.




http://www.amazon.com/Mimi-Carol-Baicker-McKee/dp/B004E3XDYY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336916731&sr=8-1

I remember when Carol used to bring little Mimi in a hat box to show our group various poses of her. When Mimi came out a few years ago, I fell in love with her all over again and so did my younger son. Mimi is by far one of his favorite books. The repetition and the search for Frank is delightful. We also have the tradition that when Mimi gets belly zerberts before bed, we also have to exchange belly zerberts (at least 20). Mimi is one of those books that you can read over and over again and never grow tired of it. Thanks Carol, for such an awesome book and for also answering questions like, "Can you please ask Carol how she made..." (the banana, the yogurt cup, bubbles, etc.).

First Day

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1416968482/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I bought First Day by Joan Rankin years ago at a conference, and it has also been a regular bedtime story. Haybillybun is not sure he wants to go to Yappy Puppy Play school. Haybillybun tries to get his mom to go to school for him. From the silly names of the students to mom sneaking around the school to rescue her darling boy, it is a charming read for preschoolers.


Boy and Bot

http://www.amazon.com/Boy-Bot-Ame-Dyckman/dp/0375867562

Our newest favorite story is Boy + Bot written by Ame Dyckman and illustrated by Dan Yaccarino. I had the pleasure of meeting Ame last year at the NJ SCBWI conference. When I heard that her book was out, I had to buy it for my robot-obsessed five-year old. When a boy and a robot meet in the woods, they immediately hit it off. But when Bot gets turned off, the boy is afraid his new friend might be sick. The usual remedies don't work. But when the boy falls asleep and Bot powers up, he is afraid the boy is ill. This is a book that you can read over and over again. I'm sure you'll also fall in love with it!

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment