Welcome!

Please join us to discuss everything literary (especially kid literary): good books, the writing life, the people and businesses who create books, controversies in book world, what's good to snack on while reading and writing, and anything else bookish. We welcome your thoughts.

Friday, December 23, 2011

Literary Rambles: Agent Spotlight... Part One

by David Amaditz and Marcy Collier

Literary Rambles


Have you wondered where you should go when you want to find the most up-to-date and accurate information about agents? Search no further. Wonder no more. Marcy and I have found the place for you.

Casey McCormick started the Literary Rambles (http://caseylmccormick.blogspot.com/) blog in 2008 and began the agent spotlight segment in March of 2009. We view Literary Rambles as the one-stop shop when an author begins the arduous task of researching potential agents.

But her site is not just for those seeking representation. Other features of her blog include author interviews, writing tip Tuesday's, giveaways and more. Check it out for yourself. We're sure you'll be ready to become one of her over 2000 followers.

In this two-part interview find out how and why Casey began the blog, what it takes for her to maintain it, what agents think about the work she has done and how this has benefited or otherwise affected her writing career.

Grab a cup of hot cocoa or eggnog, curl up by the fire and read our interview with Casey.


Interview with Casey McCormick

Dave and Marcy: We view your blog as the one-stop-shop, the place to be, the place to go when searching for an agent. What goals did you have in mind for your blog when you first began? Have they changed since you've begun? What is it you are ultimately trying to achieve with your blog? Can you talk a little about future plans for the site? Can you give advice for those just beginning to blog?  How much time in an average day do you devote to your blog?

Casey: When I started Literary Rambles, I didn't have any goals in mind. I had met a group of aspiring authors at the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/index.php) who blogged and decided I would start one as well. Coming up with posts was always a struggle for me, however, so I began doing weekly features. The idea for Agent Spotlight struck me when I was trying to think of another new feature to add, and it's become the defining aspect of the blog. Somewhere along the way Literary Rambles became less about me and more about others.  I love helping fellow writers, and I think that will always be the focus.

I used to dedicate hours upon hours to blogging, but it's worn me down, to be honest. I've cut way back in the last year and only dedicate a few hours to it a week now.

As for advice, I think it's important to find what works for you and then be relatively consistent. You don't have to be one of those bloggers who posts every day, or even every week, but your readers should know what to expect in timing and content, at least generally.

Dave and Marcy: While on your blog, I have never come across any information you've posted that has been inaccurate. How long does it take you to research an agent? Are there any steps you take or have taken to make sure the information you post is accurate or up-to-date?

Casey: I'm glad you've never come across inaccurate information, though it does happen!  How long it takes me to research an agent ranges from a couple hours to several. 

When I research, I basically try to find everything I can on that particular agent and pay close attention to the timeline of content I find. It's so important to pay attention to dates! You have to be mindful of the fact that a lot can change in six months, let alone years. 

I also e-mail every agent I profile with an invitation to review the information I've collected. This gives them a chance to let me know if something is out of date or incorrect. 

Dave and Marcy: As a writer, especially a writer in search of an agent, I find your blog to be extremely helpful. Based on the number of followers to your site, it appears I am not alone. What is the feedback you've received from agents about their take on your site? What percentage have responded favorably? Could you share some of their comments?

Casey: Most agents respond favorably, though I can't say they all do.

It's always a relief when the agent I've profiled loves their Spotlight, and the best days are when the agent spreads the word about their feature, or claims I know more about them than they do.  That always makes me smile!

Dave and Marcy: I am actively seeking representation and have spent many weeks researching agents listed on your site. In that time, I've come across many agent websites that suggest linking to your blog for more information about them. How does that make you feel knowing that agents are now adding your link to their website as a place to find relevant and accurate information about them? Did you ever envision that happening when you began this process?

Casey: When I started Agent Spotlight, I didn't contact the profiled agents. I didn't expect they'd ever even see I'd posted something about them! So no, I definitely did not envision things developing the way they have.  I love that agents are finding value in the feature.  Knowing both writers and agents are benefitting keeps me motivated.

Marcy and I will continue our interview with Casey on Monday, December 26. We hope that you and your family have a safe and joyous holiday!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for interviewing me, Marcy and Dave. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casey,

    You're honest answers made our interview easy, just as your site makes researching agents much easier.

    Thank you Casey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Casey, we really appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule for the interview. Dave and I love your blog. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete