Welcome!

Please join us to discuss everything literary (especially kid literary): good books, the writing life, the people and businesses who create books, controversies in book world, what's good to snack on while reading and writing, and anything else bookish. We welcome your thoughts.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Mother Knows Best

MOTHER KNOWS BEST
posted by Andrea Perry
     Of all of the things that I ever wanted to be when I grew up:  a nun, teacher, drummer, The Girl from U.N.C.L.E., interior decorator, Miss America, speech therapist, super model, librarian, and Stevie Nicks back-up singer - children's author never made an appearance on my list.  As a matter of fact, the notion of such a thing was not even mentioned until I was 35.  At the time, I was an at-home mom raising two toddlers.  I had degrees in psychology, education, and rehabilitation counseling and had worked for a number of years as the director of placement and housing for recently discharged state hospital patients.  So imagine my surprise when out of the blue one day my mother suggested I take a course in writing for children.  " I don't think you realize that you have a gift," she said.  "For talking on the phone, brushing my hair, and changing diapers at the same time, maybe, " I replied, "but that's about it."  Her evidence for making such a suggestion, she claimed, was that I had always written little rhymed ditties inside the cards I mailed to friends who were getting married, graduation, moving, or taking new jobs. And I had also won the grand prize in two recent writing contests hosted by Kaufmann's where I had to describe married life in one, and why my husband and I deserved a cruise to Bermuda in another.  "The craziest thing I ever heard," I believe I may have said. So convinced was I that she was so completely wrong, that I actually enrolled in the class to prove my point.  And getting out of the house for one evening a week for 12 weeks did sound rather inviting.  
Well, the rest is history.  Truth be told, I haven't quit my day job. Yet. But I have been lucky enough to publish three picture books.  My life as a children's author has been full of ups and downs, rejections and acceptances, and I continue to evolve, writing and rhyming away, still not knowing what the future holds, but loving it and knowing she was right. How did my mother know? I have no idea.  But I'm glad she did.

No comments:

Post a Comment